Tik-79.146 Logic in Computer Science: Special Topics I
This is an advanced course on logic and its applications in computer
science and engineering. Subjects covered this year are:
modal logics (syntax, semantics, proof theory and computational
properties) and applications of temporal logic in concurrent and
[Other Interesting Stuff]
- Lectures by
Docent Ilkka Niemelš:
Thursdays 16-18, room T4
- Tutorials by
Fridays 15-16, room T4
- Course material:
Fitting, Basic Modal Logic, Handbook of Logic in
Artificial Intelligence and Logic Programming, Volume 1, Logical
E.A. Emerson, Automated Temporal Reasoning about Reactive Systems,
Logics for Concurrency, F. Moller and G. Birtwistle (Eds.),
Springer-Verlag, 1996, LNCS 1043, pp. 41-99.
- In order to pass the course one has to
- pass the home assignments
- pass the exam (with a grade greater than 0)
- Newsgroup: opinnot.tik.logiikka
- Brochure in Finnish
course information at
- Exam: 12.5.2000, 13-16, T1
of the exam on 12.5.2000
Instructions for the exam.
- Previous years:
(Slides in Finnish; Postscript form)
- Introduction to the course
- A refresher on propositional and predicate logic
Modal Logic I
- Introduction to modal logics, syntax, semantics, basic properties
Modal Logic II
- Example modal logics
Modal Logic III
- Hilbert style proof theory
Modal Logic IV
- Tableau Method
Modal Logic V
- Translation to predicate logic, multi-modal logic, decidability and
Modal Logic VI
- Introduction to temporal logic; CTL and LTL
Modal Logic VII
- CTL vs. LTL; Expressing properties of systems; model checking
Modal Logic VIII
- Tableau method for CTL
There are 3 compulsory home assignments
student is given a personal assignment.
The assignments can be returned at the lectures or tutorials or to the
box by the room TB336.
The first home assignment is distributed starting on Thursday 10.2.2000 at the
lecture 16-18 o'clock.
The deadline for the first assignment is Thursday 2.3.2000.
- The second home assignment is distributed starting on
Thursday 23.3.2000 at the lecture 16-18 o'clock.
The deadline for the second assignment is Thursday 6.4.2000.
- The third home assignment can be obtained as a PostScript file
starting on Thursday
6.4.2000. The deadline is Friday 5.5.2000.
For more detailed instructions, see
how to get
used by the model checker.
If you cannot come to pick up your assignment at the lectures, please
contact the lecturer directly.
If you have returned your assignment, see the
Other Interesting Stuff
Information and links
Latest update: Feb 2, 2000